Assisted Living Facility
Once you are approved as a certified trainer to teach approved Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders curricula, you will receive a training provider number. All training provider approval numbers do not expire, and satisfy the ADRD training provider certification process. Pursuant to (58A -5.0191, F.A.C., pursuant to s. 429.178, F.S.)an approved training provider is responsible for acquiring an approved curriculum to use for training. Only authors of the curriculum should submit a curriculum application. Approved curricula expire after three years.
Training Provider Application Process
Use the link below to apply online, or download the Training Provider Application and follow the instructions to apply by mail.
Apply for ADRD Training Provider Certification
(Please note that the 30-day clock applies to this process)
You must provide proof of one of the following:
- Documentation that you hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. (Staff reviews the transcript or diploma for clear statement of the area of concentration)
- Hold a license as a registered nurse.
Substitution for RN or Bachelor’s degree in health related field
Years of teaching experience related to the subject matter of this program may substitute on a year-by-year basis for the required Bachelor’s degree.
You must also provide proof of one of the following criteria:
- Have one (1) year teaching experience as an educator of care givers for persons with Alzheimer's Disease or Related Disorders.
- Have three (3) years of practical experience in a program providing care to persons with Alzheimer's Disease or Related Disorders.
For options 1 & 2, staff reviews resume or supervisor’s letter for documentation of at least one (1) year of teaching experience or three (3) years of practical experience. Documentation must include both start and end dates of employment and description of duties related to ADRD.
- Have completed a specialized training program in the subject matter of this program AND have a minimum of two (2) years of practical experience in a program providing care to persons with Alzheimer’s Disease or Related Disorders.
For option 3, staff reviews certifications of completion for at least four (4) hours of Continuing Education coursework related to dementia or Alzheimer’s disease AND reviews resume or supervisor’s letter for documentation of two (2) years of practical experience.
Substitution for experience in training caregivers:
A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a subject related to the content of this training program may substitute for the above teaching experience.
REVIEW OF APPLICATION
- Your application will be reviewed by trained personnel.
- Review is based on criteria detailed in Rule 58A-5.0191, F.A.C., pursuant to s. 429.178, F.S.;https://www.flrules.org/
- Eligibility requirements are broken into 2 categories as noted:
- Education Requirements
- Teaching/Training Requirements
The status of your application will be determined and a written response will be mailed to you within 30 calendar days.
To check the status of your application at any time, call (813) 974-3414.
DETERMINATION OF APPLICATION STATUS
Once a determination is made, one of three letters will be sent to you:
- Letter of Approval: Provides trainer approval number and details your accountability. NOTE: Training provider approvals do not expire.
- Letter Requesting More Information: Indicates that your application needs more information or it contains incorrect material. In order to complete your application, you only need to send the requested documentation. DO NOT send a second application form.
- Letter Stating that Application is Incomplete: The application is missing or incomplete.
Note: A Disapproval letter will be sent if no response is received to the Incomplete or Need More Information letter within 90 days.
NOTICE OF DISSEMINATION
- A list of Assisted Living Facility Alzheimer's Disease and Related Disorders approved training providers is posted on the website (www.trainingonaging.usf.edu), detailing contact and approval information as provided on the application. If you do not want your company name, company or personal telephone number, and/or company or personal e-mail to be posted, you must mail a written request specifying the information to be excluded to the following address:
Training Academy on Aging
School of Aging Studies
University of South Florida
13301 Bruce B. Downs Blvd.,
FMHI - MHC 1300
Tampa, FL 33612
- A copy of the training approval letter is to be provided to any facility/agency for which Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Disorders training is provided, along with a copy of the curriculum approval letter. If the approved curriculum of another developer is being used, the trainer will obtain and supply a copy of the approval letter for that curriculum.